Wednesday, May 26, 2010

La Musica




When I can't travel, I like to listen to songs that help me take flight. I believe everyone who enjoys to travel should have a travel playlist for those agonizing 9 to 5ers (or 8 to 4:30ers, as the case may be) where you are inside all day and can't enjoy the outside world.

In my humble opinion, there are five requirements for songs in order for them to make it to the final travel playlist. Most songs on my playlist will fill all five requirements, but sometimes less. There are songs that may have a few test runs, until I decide that they really aren't travel playlist material. But the following criteria are to be met in order for me to include the song on my personal playlist:

a) As listed, first it must make you want to travel. You have not made a successful travel playlist until you absolutely feel that longing to get in a car and drive away-- blasting the song through your speakers, rolling the windows down, and taking off.

b) At least some songs must be linked to previous trips you have taken. I am a collector of songs that remind me of different memories, and feel that a successful playlist is not complete without these. Whether it be a random song you heard on the radio and loved, or a song playing at a gas station when you picked up some gummi worms for the ride back...the possibilities are endless. Whatever brings you back to that time.

c) It must give you the travel tingles. If you love to travel, you know what this feels like.

d) It must put images in your head of travel. Whether it be scenes from a particular movie that involve travel, or your own personal experiences, or places you hope to one day see.

e) It can always be listened to with the windows rolled down.

---

All this to say, here is the current travel playlist I am working with. It's rather short, because it takes quite a bit for a song to STAY on my travel list without me kicking it off.

*Disclaimer: this is my own personal playlist. If you like the songs, great! Add them to your playlist. However, if you don't agree, don't judge me. Just don't do it! LOL.

1) Ventura Highway- America It takes me back to visits to California. Even though I haven't lived there in over 22 years, it's still in my blood. Oh, how I love California.

2) Hard Sun-Eddie Vedder This reminds me of the first few minutes of the movie "Into the Wild". I didn't finish it due to content in the movie, but one day I'd love to see the edited version of it. The link provided shows pretty much the gist of the story. Chris McCandless's story is one of the most fascinating stories I've ever heard. I encourage you to read 'Into the Wild'.

3) Wagon Wheel-Old Crow Medicine Show Just a good song to listen to on a nice, open road.

4)Penny and Me-Hanson No playlist is complete without Hanson ;) And this song truly has a great sound.

5) Boston-Augustana I love the beautiful piano music. This is one of my favorite "windows rolled down" songs.

6) Pretty much the ENTIRE 'Elizabethtown' soundtrack. It is one of my favorite movies, and captured the essence and feel of a road trip in a movie like no other movies have. I dream of the day I can make a scrapbook map for someone! But particularly, the ones that really get my heart racing are:

My Father's Gun-Elton John
Free Bird-Lynyrd Skynyrd
Don't I Hold You-Wheat
Square One- Tom Petty

7) Cruisin'- Huey Lewis and Gwyneth Paltrow Hello? Cruisin is the title of the song. 'Nough said. ;)

8)Dancin' in the Moonlight- Toploader I can't help but dance around in my car when I hear this.

9) Brick House-The Commodores Speaking of dancing around, especially if I'm driving alone, at some point in my road trip, I have to dance around for a period of time. One time, I was driving home due to a break at college. I got tired of my cds and put on the radio. Suddenly, this song came on, and I literally could not control my urge to dance around in the car. It made me feel SO much better too, because the trip had grown a little dull. It energized me for the rest of the trip. I definitely recommend you dance around at some point during your road trip. It adds to the whole experience.

10) Return to Innocence- Enigma I understand this is probably central to me, because this song really has nothing to do with traveling. Yet somehow, I get the travel vibe from it. I love to turn it up as loud as it will go and sing the Native American parts. One of my favorite songs.

11) The ENTIRE album Share the Well by Caedmon's Call. Reminds me of my time of preparation before going to India in 2005. Particulars are:

Dalit Hymn
International Love Song
Sarala
Mother India
Share the Well

12) Michael Jackson is SO great for road trips. I guess it's probably during the times when I want to wiggle around in my seat or just sing really loud. My favorites are:

Black or White
The Way You Make Me Feel
Will You Be There
Bad
Beat It
Don't Stop Til You Get Enough

13) Motorcycle Drive By- Third Eye Blind Oh my. I could listen to this over and over and over again and never get tired of it. A MUST for my playlist.

14) The Climb-Miley Cyrus Perhaps this is why I put my disclaimer. Or maybe I'm referring to Enigma. Or something else. I was skeptical of Miley, but she really has some good songs. Another song that is a must on my playlist is "Party in the USA."

15) John Hiatt- Have a Little Faith in Me Piano songs and road trips are such a beautiful mix. And if you haven't seen 'Benny and Joon', please go out and rent it now.

16)Vann Morrison- Into the Mystic

17) Life is a Highway- as sung by Rascal Flatts

18) The Zephyr Song-Red Hot Chili Peppers


---

That's all I have for now. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them right this second. This will be a working list :) Were there any that you hadn't heard before? What do you think? Let me know!


Now, let's hear what songs you would pick and why!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog! Actually, I listen to books while I travel and they fit your criteria in some ways. When I get really involved in one, I can hardly wait to get into the car to get to the next part :-) When I listen to music, I either listen to a classical station...if they play what I like...or I have some other favorite albums on my player.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary--thanks for visiting my site as well! :)

    I've had a few times where I'll listen to classical music on a radio station and drive. Do you ever have moments when it seems like the drive and the outside world is synching exactly with the music? It's so beautiful when it does! I will definitely add some classical to my playlist! Thanks for the suggestion :)

    I haven't tried an audio book yet, but one day I would love to try it. I'm sure once I do, I may be hooked ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the elizabethtown soundtrack too, such a good movie! other roadtrip music...bryan and i like the Jon Foreman EPs ("Revenge") and the Killers ("are we human or are we dancers" reminds me so much of Depech Mode!). and pretty much anything by The Smiths, Simon & Garfunkle, the Mommas and the Papas, the Ramones, Postal Service, Birdie Busch, Thao Nguyen, and Nina Natasia.
    ok that's all =)

    ReplyDelete